The seasons are starting to change. The holidays are fast approaching and many businesses such as Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks are bringing out their fall offerings. Pumpkin flavored treats are found everywhere these days. From ma and pa bake shops, to the coffee-house, and grocery stores, it is pumpkin time again. We at Prescription Nutrition are all for it. We recently started posting recipes and pictures of our food creations on our Facebook page. You can view more photos and recipes there. Here is a great pumpkin (sorry for the Charlie Brown lead-in) recipe for making healthy, natural protein bars that make excellent snacks.
1/2 cup brown sugar (may substitute Splenda with brown sugar)
1 medium banana smashed or puree
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large egg whites, gently beaten
15-16oz can of plain pumpkin puree
1/2 cup plain soy milk or other milk of choice
1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 scoops Prescription Nutrition vanilla ProBlend or Whey Isolate
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 and 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground clove
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional or substitute another nut if desired)
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9″x13″ Pyrex dish with non-stick spray or grease lightly.
- Mix together all of the wet ingredients (first 6 ingredients).
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just incorporated.
- Spread the batter evenly into the Pyrex dish, top with your optional nuts and fresh ground nutmeg.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes
We hope you enjoy these like we do. If you want to reduce the sugar, we suggest using the brown sugar Splenda mix, otherwise, this is an all-natural recipe that is easy to make and promotes your healthy lifestyle.