Lactose intolerant? Dairy not your thing? Try this recipe for a twist on things. Links included to help you source some ingredients if you are unfamiliar with them.
This, easy to make, macaroni and cheese dish utilizes the nutty, cheesy flavor of a vitamin-B filled vegan supplement called nutritional yeast. Garlic powder and light grey Celtic sea salt make wonderful enhancements to the flavor of the “cheese” sauce.
Time: 30 minutes
½ cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 ½ cups water
8 ounces elbow macaroni (half of a one pound box)
2 tablespoons vegan butter or margarine
2 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, light grey
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons dairy-free Italian breadcrumbs
1. Blend cashews and water on high until a smooth cashew milk forms. If you are not using a high powered blender, boil cashews for ten minutes first.
2. Cook macaroni according to directions on package.
3. In the meantime, whisk flour and vegan butter or margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat until all butter has melted and a paste forms.
4. Add cashew milk, nutritional yeast, ketchup, salt and garlic powder to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, whisk in lemon juice, and allow to sit until macaroni is ready.
5. Once macaroni has drained for five minutes, add to a 3 quart oval baking pan, pour nutritional yeast sauce on top and stir until all macaroni has been covered.
6. Evenly scatter breadcrumbs on top of macaroni and place under broiler for 1 minute or until bread crumbs have browned to your liking.